Although Smite update 8.5 is not receiving a new god, there’s plenty of content tucked away into these patch notes. The big focus will be the new Monstercat battle pass, which gives players access to four exclusive skins for Hades, Gilgamesh, Chang’e, and Khepri, along with several ward skins, an announce pack, jump stamps, and many more items. The Monstercat battle pass is set to release on May 18, and it will be available for 700 gems, which equates to around $15.00.
Not only are new skins coming to the Monstecat battle pass, but the Avatar skins from 2020’s Avatar: The Last Airbender battle pass are returning for a limited time. You can purchase Aang for Merlin, Zuko for Susano, and Korra for Skadi from the Smite in-game store. A new Avatar skin is also being released in update 8.5: Azula, for Pele. Azula is the sister of Zuko, who went down a much darker path and is one of the primary antagonists in the Avatar series.
The final big announcement for update 8.5 is the Persephone rework. The developers at Hi-Rez have shared that Persephone is a god who is consistently banned in ranked play, despite her low win rate. To better balance, the god, her passive and second abilities are reworked, and her first, third, and ultimate abilities are being balanced and changed. We’ve listed out the entire rework details, and it looks like Persephone could become a much more powerful mage in the current meta.
Here are the full patch notes for Monstercat update 8.5.
UPDATE RELEASE SCHEDULE
- 8.4 Bonus Update – Get all the details on Balance and new content here.
- Monstercat Battle Pass
- Azula Pele + return of Avatar skins
- Talons of Tyranny
- Antihero Chest
- Athena Remodel
- Persephone Rework
- 8.5 Bonus Update – More info coming soon!
Monstercat Battle Pass (700 Gems)
Monstercat Battle Pass Plus (1300 Gems)
Paid Track Items:
- Sullivan King Gilgamesh Skin
- Slushii Hades Skin
- Koven Chang’e Skin
- Crab Rave Khepri Skin
- Khepri Crab Avatar
- Monstercat Loading Frame
- Crab Rave Music Theme
- Koven Loading Screen
- Slushii Recall Skin
- Monstercat Global Emote
- Monolith Ward Skin
- Koven Level Up Skin
- Crab Rave Jump Stamp
- Sullivan King Music Theme
Free Track Items:
- Monstercat Growl Avatar
- Sullivan King Announcer Pack
- Slushii Music Theme
- Monstercat Death Stamp
- Koven Music Theme
- Monstercat Player Title
QUALITY OF LIFE
- Starter Items will now appear when using the search bar in the item store
- In the case of an early surrender, the winning team will now acquire a reduced amount of MMR (Losing team still has no gain or loss of MMR or TP, the player who disconnected still loses full MMR and receives deserter penalty, even if they reconnected)
- Adjusted the default audio volume levels for new players
- Decreased the Volume of the crowd noise in the Arena mode
- Ban count in All out Assault 2.0, Infinite Assault, and Omnipotent Draft has been increased
- Grab Bag 2.0 has been updated to include the complete god roster
- Season 8 brought some big changes to our ranked systems. The removal of variance has allowed a lot of our best players to reach the MMR cap rather quickly. To keep the very top end of the leaderboard competitive, we are going to be re-implementing MMR/Rank resets for only the top players. Players at all other ranks should see no changes. This should lead to a new race to Grandmasters!
- Ranked Resets are returning – and will only apply to Diamond 1 and above players
- In this update all players above D1 in TP or MMR will reset to D1 Rank, with 0 TP and to 2400 MMR
- This reset will occur in this update (8.5) and then again 2 updates from now (8.7)
- If this feels too slow to our top players we will consider doing this type of reset every update (8.8, 8.9, 8.10, etc)
- Fixed an issue where a large group of new gods had no in-game ability videos. All gods should now have all ability videos
- Updated Loki and Persephone in-game ability videos to match their new kits
- Fixed an issue where the Danzaburou and Hera fan art cosmetics were using the wrong art
- Fixed an issue where certain pieces of foliage or plant life would flicker
- Adjusted a large list of gods to reduce the chance that they would get in a situation where their basic attacks would de-sync from the characters animation.
- Fixed an issue where the Tutorial was still using Hunter’s Blessing
- Fixed an issue where King Arthur and Yemoja were not properly banned from all infinite cooldown/mana modes
- Fixed a series of issues on the Conquest Map regarding the Base Gates
- Base Gates should now function like player-made walls when interacting with abilities that care about walls. Ricochets should bounce off them, Chernobog can dash into them, and Janus can NOT portal through them.
- Updated Achilles’ lore text to accurately describe Patroclus as his “lover”
- This change was brought about by the Olympians and a discussion on our LGBT gods. Ancient mythology has many examples of gods displaying their sexualities and SMITE wholeheartedly embraces our LGBT characters and players. Achilles is being updated because his relationship is one of the most clearly documented, and his lore specifically cites his relationship with Patroclus. Many other gods had similar relationships even though their SMITE lore text does not describe it.
- Gilgamesh is also a God to consider in this discussion. When analyzing the wording and themes of his epic, it is a common conclusion that Enkidu and Gilgamesh were romantic partners. The author clearly wanted to portray that their relationship was very special and unlike any other. However, much less is known about ancient Babylonian culture than Greco-Roman culture, and many scholars are still divided on this issue. We are leaving Gilgamesh and Enkidu’s relationship status up to each individual player’s interpretation.
- This ability will now be canceled if Nemesis is hit by a Disarm – which is considered a hard CC
- Fixed an issue where some skins had cloth clipping through other pieces of clothing
- Fixed an issue where Madame Darkness skin was using some default VO
- Fixed an issue where the Tormented Soul skin special emote could not be used
- Fixed an issue where he could plant more than 3 Verdant Growth plants
- Seismic Crush
- Fixed an issue where this ability was using 33% lifesteal although it is single target, and should be 100% lifesteal
- Seismic Crush
- Fixed an issue where his Auto-Leveling abilities was not working
- Drop Kick
- Fixed an issue where this could cause Gilgamesh to clip through certain things like player made walls and phoenix pedestals. (hotfixed)
- Fixed an issue where Dropkick could make a minion immune (hotfixed)
- Fixed an issue where a quest marker might not always appear on Gilgamesh’s mini map
- Winds of Shamash
- Fixed an issue where this dealt damage to structures
- Fixed an issue where he could not dash into and hide in certain Towers
- Gilded Arrow
- This item will no longer mark the enemy Titan
- Leader’s Cowl
- Fixed an issue where the 5% Power Aura and the 3% Power Aura were both not affecting the item owner. This will now affect the player who has the Cowl, as well as allied gods nearby.
BALANCE LIVE WITH THE 8.5 UPDATE LIVE MAY 18
Sometimes the rigorous schedule of game development can be more troublesome than usual. In this case, we had already locked all bonus balance to be tested and shipped before the weekend. Over that weekend we had our first SPL games as well as a lot more gameplay data stream in. These two factors have led us to implement a few more nerfs that will go live in the main 8.5 Update.Wind Demon is seeing a large decrease to the Movement Speed it provides, as well as smaller loss of Attack Speed. The Crit meta came back in a big way with SPL – with this item being the main catalyst. Rage is also a key factor, but that item requires a lot more time to get online and provides only power and crit, so Wind Demon is being nerfed instead.
- Decreased Movement Speed from 20% to 10% and Attack Speed from 20% to 15% on the passive effect
UPGRADED MAGIC SHELL RELIC
This Relic has been the premier defensive choice for almost 2 years now. Shell provides a large amount of health swing in a fight when used at the right time, but its the block stacks on the upgrade that have really begun to warp the meta. Many Gods are heavily weakened by the blocks, so those are being removed and replaced with a more fair basic-attack counter that should affect a different set of gods. This change should bring back many new options to Junglers, especially in the pro league.
- Upgraded Shell no longer provides block stacks
- Instead – The buffed gods takes 50% less damage from basic attacks for as long as they have the health shield
(UPGRADE) THE ALTERNATE TIMELINE
This Timeline only grows in power. The Alternate Timeline’s passive looks potentially strong on paper but the revive time, feedback, and overall health restore gives enemies a strong opportunity to secure the kill on the revived target. This item was previously statted with the idea that this passive was stronger than it really ended up being in practice. We are bringing the Magical Power up on this item to better reflect its true strength.
- Increased Magical Power from 45 to 70
(STARTER) ARCHMAGE’S GEM
Archmage’s Gem still has moments of play but we have seen the Mage starter items really open up from the Conduit and Archmage’s Gem rushes at the start of the season. Some extra Mana will not only give this item a solid +1 that isn’t raw damage, but will let it synergize with other Mage items that care about Mana.
- Added 200 Mana
(UPGRADE) GEM OF FOCUS
Similar to Archmage’s Gem, we want to ensure that this tree remains competitive with Sands of Time (the most popular choice in SPL) and other Mage starts. A bump to its power should help it evenly across any mage who may want to try out Gem of Focus.
- Increased Magical Power from 90 to 100
(UPGRADE) BUMBA’S SPEAR
Bumba’s Spear has not only felt weak since the start of Season 8, but it had to compete with the arguably strongest starter in the same tree. Even with the nerfs coming in Bonus Balance to Bumba’s Hammer this item still needs some extra kick to make it feel worthwhile. CDR and Mana will make this more attractive in general, but we are swapping the gold generation with raw Power when slaying Jungle Monsters, Bosses, and Structures. Bumba’s Spear holders can now use that 10s window to make some strong power plays.
- Added 10% CDR
- Removed 200 Mana
- Passive now provides a 10% Power buff for 10s duration after Jungle Camps, Structures, and Jungle Bosses
- No longer provides bonus gold on Jungle Camps, Structures, and Jungle Bosses
Manikin’s Hidden Blade was another Jungler Starter Upgrade that really struggled to make an impact. The proc didn’t feel worthwhile considering the difficulty to apply it regularly in combat and most Assassin’s couldn’t convert Basic Attack Power into meaningful damage output late game. Basic Attack Power is being converted to simple Power while the proc is getting some love to alleviate both these issues.
- Removed Basic Attack Power
- Now Provides 60 Physical Power and 90 Magical Power
- Increased Bonus Damage on the passive from 15% of the target’s current health to 20%
(UPGRADE) SEER OF THE JUNGLE
You didn’t think that was all Junglers, right? We also have Seer of the Jungle to discuss. The idea of becoming a Ward destroyer was something we expected to have high value but the duration combined with the strength of other Starter Upgrades left this item behind. We are giving it some extra stats to help it compete more evenly with other options while increasing the window players can slay wards in.
- Increased Attack Speed from 15% to 30%
- Increased the duration of the buff on the passive that allows you to see wards from 10s to 15s
(STARTER) WARRIOR’S AXE
In our last update we buffed Bluestone Pendant which has been a point of discussion for the community. We did that buff due to Bluestone Pendant struggling on the data side but it looks like we missed how players actually felt and utilized these items. Not only did they feel it was powerful but it highlighted the feeling that the other starters were underwhelming. Rather than just nerfing Bluestone Pendant and leaving everything as is, we want to look at bringing Warrior’s Axe and Warding Sigil up to better compete with Bluestone Pendant. We want…